Well oh my stars...this tiny little blog got nominated for something! Amy of Lovely Does It nominated me for the Liebster Award, which is essentially a way for bloggers to get to know other bloggers to the internet. After a bit of research, I discovered that the word "Liebster" has German origins: it means dearest, sweetest, kindest, nicest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome. Precious. Thank you, Amy!
She posted a list of questions for me to respond to, and then I'm going to tag a handful of other blogs that you should check out at the bottom!
1. Why do you love blogging? I love blogging because it gives me a tiny corner of the internet to use to encourage and inspire others. Writing is also a creative outlet for me, and I have a lot of fun doing it!
2. What is your middle name, and do you love it or hate it? Marie! It's a bit plain (and several other friends of mine also have it!) but it's classic and I like it.
3. What is something God is teaching you right now? God is teaching me a lot about walking with Him on the daily. My life is at a place right now where things are pretty settled and "normal" - there is nothing big or scary on the horizon. I am learning the quiet discipline of showing up every morning with my Bible, journal, and a fat ol' mug of tea or coffee and just being with Him, knowing Him deeper, and learning what desires He has for my existence.
4. What’s your favorite hobby? This probably sounds boring, but I really love nesting (no, I'm not pregnant!) in our new house. We spent most of the summer tearing it apart/putting it back together, and I'm really proud of all of the work we put into it. I have never cared about hardwood floors or cabinets so much in my life! I love taking care of our space...decorating, getting rid of extraneous possessions, cleaning, making my own staples (bread, laundry soap, dishwasher detergent, etc.), and generally keeping things cozy and bright.
5. Tell us about your best vacation you have ever taken. Hans' and my honeymoon to Colorado. We went a few months after we got married, and it was 14 thousand different kinds of lovely. We stayed in an adorable Caboose at the foot of Pikes Peak, and we just spent the week sightseeing, cuddling, eating (oh, and the WINE...I had a glass of Weingut Josef Spreitzer that tasted like pure springtime), hanging out in our hot tub, and watching movies. We adventures like horseback riding, skiing, hiking, and various shopping escapades...in general, just being with each other. I loved every second of spending a week with my husband and having him all to myself :)
6. Tell us one thing from your bucket list. Going to Europe. You don't even understand...I *need* to go.
7. Who is one hero that you have? William Wilberforce. He was a late 18th/early 19th century British abolitionist and politician who fought tooth and nail for the majority of his life to eradicate the British slave trade. He loved Jesus relentlessly, and took the words "to proclaim liberty to the captives" (Isaiah 61:1) seriously. He's a hero of mine because he listened to the call of the Lord upon his life, and allowed himself to be used by the Lord for His purposes. He worked for nearly FIVE decades to get the British Parliament to enact the Bill for the Abolition of Slavery, and he died just three days after it was finally passed. Wilberforce is also the subject of one of my favorite movies of all time, Amazing Grace.
“If to be feelingly alive to the sufferings of my fellow-creatures is to be a fanatic, I am one of the most incurable fanatics ever permitted to be at large.” - William Wilberforce
8. Favorite song right now? "Oh How I Need You" by All Sons and Daughters. I love songs that give me an insatiable urge to clap my hands and sing very loud! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-ZpcJzGBpE
9. What is one of your fashion staples? My black skinnies. I bought them from Old Navy a few months ago, and I am thrilled with them. The stretch without losing their shape, they don't look ridiculous on my long legs (being 5'8", most jeans just end up looking weird on me), and I can whip up about a zillion outfits with them. While I will eventually invest in a higher-quality pair of skinnies, these are serving me very well for the time being!
10. Something you wish you were awesome at? I literally cannot shuffle a deck of cards using the Bridge method. It's embarrassing. One of my goals for 2014 is to learn how to do this without the cards flying everywhere.
Now then! Here are some lovely ladies who deserve a Liebster Award themselves!
Way to go, ladies! Keep making the internet beautiful!
Here are the questions! If you'd like to, post the answers on your blog and tag some other bloggers who deserve some recognition!
- What's your favorite hot drink of choice?
- What is your favorite version of the Bible, and why?
- Best childhood Halloween costume? Bonus points for pictures!
- Why did you start blogging?
- If you could have been present for any event in history, what would it be and why?
- What has God been putting on your heart lately?
- What are you most excited about for 2014?
- Favorite book? Why?
- As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- What is something you've created recently that you're proud of?
Under Grace, Rachel