Happy Monday, sweet friends! Today I have the giddy pleasure of introduce you to Taneka, a lovely lady who runs an equally lovely scripture print shop called Heart & Lips. Taneka's desire is "to motivate and encourage, but most of all, remind others of what God speaks over you through inspirational wall art." Taneka and I connected earlier this year, and her sincerity and kindness has just blown me away. Also? When I started peeking around her website, I was thrilled to see that a portion of all of her print sales goes to support Exodus Cry and International Justice Mission, two epically wonderful Christian non-profits.
She sweetly sent me one of her prints (I'm ashamed to say I'm still using my iPhone 4s camera, which cannot adequately capture the gorgeous gold ink this scripture print has got going on) and would like to give away a print to one of YOU as well!
Read on to find out more about Taneka and how you could win one of her prints! 1. Tell us about yourself! I am a native Washingtonian. I love DC and feel very fortunate to live in this city. There is such a wealth of culture and experiences that are available here. I’m also a bit of a foodie, so I appreciate being able to sample Thai, Vietnamese, Korean, Ethiopian, Mediterranean, and Peruvian cuisine (for starters). Here are six random facts to help get to know me:
- My favorite season is spring in the nation's capital. Two words: cherry blossoms.
- My Starbucks drink of choice is a vanilla latte, chai tea, or green tea Frappuccino – depending on my mood and the weather.
- I love winding down at the end of the day with a good book, a glass of wine, and listening to my parent’s old vinyl collection.
- I am obsessed with the tiny home movement, and would live in one some day.
- My hobby is learning: I’ve taken classes in improv, glassblowing, photography, sewing, rollerblading, cooking, and other random areas because of my insatiable curiosity for life.
- I’ve crossed skydiving off my bucket list (twice)!
2. How did Heart & Lips get started? I started last year with the goal of reading the Bible twice that year, which was pretty aggressive considering prior to that I never read it straight through. During the process, I re-discovered so many riches and beauty in the Word, that I wanted a tangible representation of that for my home.
From there, the idea for Heart & Lips was birthed with the mission to create visual reminders of God's love and the power of Scripture that serves as inspirations for all. For example, prints and messages like "I am fearfully and wonderfully made" and "You are altogether beautiful" is something everyone can relate to.
I've always been a lover of all things paper related — stationery, books, writing, art, etc. — so this seemed like the perfect fit for me. 3. What is the mission behind your business? Words are so powerful. They have the power to strengthen or harm. My primary mission is to encourage others to focus on what God speaks over their lives. We are each unique, wonderful, and have amazing gifts to offer. Sometimes we need to be reminded of that, and what better way than through art we can surround ourselves with – art that is pretty but carries powerful messages.
4. What is your favorite print that you've made so far? My favorite print so far is, Psalm 52:8 — I am like an olive tree, thriving in the house of my Father. I will always trust in God's unfailing love. This verse has been one of my personal verses for the last two year, and one I look to when I need encouragement. It’s a great reminder for me of God’s faithfulness and how He continues to root us in His love.
5. What's next for Heart & Lips? What projects are in the works? For now the focus is on establishing the brand, but soon I would also love to grow the collection and provide complimentary products (such as framing and matting options).
For it is good to keep these sayings in your heart and always ready on your lips. - Proverbs 22:18